Sunday, September 16, 2012

What So What Now What from toy to tool



Kolb, L. (2006). From toy to too: Audioblogging with cell phones. Learning and Leading with     Technology, Retrieved from http://www.iste.org/store/my-virtual-products

What: In the article From Toy to Tool by Liz Kolb she describes how cell phones can be used as a tool in the classroom. She states that students can use cell phones for audio blogging and doing interviews .she describes how she used to be skeptical about allowing cell phones in the classroom. But over time she has begun to allow students the use of cell phones because that’s how today’s students communicate with the world. She says that the phones can be used to blog, conduct interviews, take pictures, and record videos. However she does state problems with the allowing of cell phones with in the class. She brings up content control issues. She says that students could blog inappropriate materials but she counters it by saying that teachers can control the blog and allow what they think is appropriate content to be submitted. She also says there could be a problem arises with copy right issues. She says that students could potentially violate copyright and privacy issues. But she does counter that by saying that she would have the students sign a copyright and privacy contract. She also states there may be a problem with the cost. But again she counters with that most students do have cell phones and those that do not can use hers or she can allocate budget to buy phones and plans for use as a technology tool. (Kolb, 2006)

So What: The significance behind this article is to show that cell phones are no longer a toy in the classroom but can be used as a very innovative tool. I learned that cell phones can be used to create an audio blog that will download right to the blog. This makes the assignments very easy, but the students have to stay on task, and not play or text when they should not be. This has impacted my learning by allowing me to open my self to the option of allowing cell phones in my future classroom.

Now What: In the future I will give the possibility of cell phones as use of a tool in my classroom. Before reading this article I was strict about not having cell phones in my classroom. But now I know that they can be used for direct interviews and blog posting I may allow them.

No comments:

Post a Comment