Thursday, October 18, 2012

Build an Assistive Technology Tool Box



Ahrens, k. (2011, November). Build an Assistive Technology Tool Box. Learning and Leading with Technology, 22-24. Retrieved October 13, 2012, from ISTE

What: This article describes how there are programs that can be installed for special needs students. It shows how to go about getting your IT support to install programs for special needs students. It describes what features are available for special needs students and what the primary function of the program is. It shows what programs are out there such as magnification for students that have trouble seeing. There are also on screen key boards, voice over or narrative and other different ways to help students with special needs use a computer.

So what: This is important to an educator because you never know when you will have a special needs child in your classroom. With technology becoming such a big part of our lives this will help make it easier for students with special needs and teachers so they can help special needs students. I know as an educator I have had special needs students in my classes I know how stressful it can be for both the teacher and the student.

Now what: As an educator I will get together with my schools IT department and have them install these programs if they are not already installed. It is important to remember that educators are there to help all there students. It may be stressful for the educator but think of how stressful it is for the student. If one of these programs can help a student understands and succeeds than it is our duty to ensure these programs exist on campus for our students.

2 comments:

  1. Charles, great synopsis of the article on assistive devices programs that can be used to help special needs students. As a person who plans on getting my credential in special education, I know I will make sure to let whichever school I end up in that there are these wonderful tools that will help the sped students. I already work with a behaviorally disabled student on a daily basis with his reading and comprehension skills. Knowing there are programs out there that would help me to help him is great. Thanks for the information.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Charles, I thought the magnification tool was great as well. I also liked the on-screen keyboard as this will help students immensely. I also like how you will use the school IT department. I too was not aware of how much they could help. Particularly, disk imaging, was what I liked the most because they could download multiple forms of software at once instead of one program at a time which would save me time. Less stress for the student is less stress for the teacher.

    ReplyDelete